Seiðr Foundational Training
Spiritual Foundations and Personal Development Through Northern European Seiðr
Next start date TBD
Learn foundational tools of personal spiritual practice through Seiðr. This class will include core archetypal and cross-cultural elements, with an emphasis on the Norse/Germanic cosmology and mythology associated with Seiðr practice. Participants will develop connections to the most compassionate aspects of the Norns, Freya, Oðinn, Þorr, and Hella. Participants will learn how to travel to Yggdrasill, the Norse World Tree, and will learn how to work with staffs as extensions of the World Tree. Relationships with spirits will be developed while maintaining full personal accountability and sovereignty.
This course includes exploration of the following:
- Safety: protection, discernment, and boundaries
- Intuitive perception and the clair-senses
- Objective witnessing
- Conscious mediumship*
- Working with the energy body
- Learning methods for altering states of consciousness
- Shamanic journey methods: Seiðr singing and core shamanism drum method
- Creating and working with a staff
- The development of shamanic relationships to personal spirit allies and ancestors
- Practice integrity and ethics
- Personal healing, self-tracking, and alignment
- Heart-centered communication
- The runes
- Old Norse cosmology from a universal metaphysical perspective
- Old Norse sources and mythology
- Learning basic Old Norse pronunciation and key words and phrases. We will not be learning the language, just aspects of pronunciation and some word meaning.
- Galðr – the use of song/sound in spiritual practice
*Please note that mediumship in this context does not mean talking to the dead. Mediumship is about embodying different qualities of consciousness. One can, for example, be a medium for compassion.
This course serves as qualification for taking the Seiðr Initiation Intensive. Those who complete the initiation intensive can continue with personal practice or can serve the community as High Seat practitioners. Participants also potentially qualify for shamanic healing training.
Required texts and supplies:
- The Seed of Yggdrasill by Maria Kvilhaug
- A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic by Geir Zoega (optional)
- A staff – details will be given in class
- A rattle – details will be given in class
- A set of runes